Road Closures / Traffic Info
Montgomery County Road Runners works in conjunction with the Montgomery County Department of Transportation, Montgomery County Police, City of Rockville Police, Montgomery County Department of Recreation and City of Rockville to ensure that the Pike’s Peek 10K course is safe for runners and has the least impact on traffic in the area.
We use a process of rolling road closures so the flow of traffic is stopped for the least amount of time possible. All of the intersections on the course are assigned a City of Rockville/Montgomery County police person and/or a Pike’s Peek 10K course Marshal. We ask that the drivers in the area of the race course please pay attention to the instructions given to drivers.
- The race starts at 7:50 am on Redland Road just Northeast of Rockville Pike. Redland Road between Rockville Pike and Crabbs Branch will be closed from 5:00 am to approximately 9:00am.
- The race course runs down Rockville Pike South in all North bound lanes from 7:40 am to approximately 8:10am. There will be traffic officers to detour traffic to East on Gude Drive, left to North on Crabbs Branch way to left on Shady Grove and back to Rockville Pike.
- On Rockville Pike from Gude Drive to Marinelli Drive the center 2 lanes will be blocked to traffic from 6:30 am to just after the last runner passes (that time depends on how far from the start line you are). Traffic is allowed in the right lanes at all times. Cross over traffic will not be permitted when the runners are on the course.
- At approximately 8:15am to 9:15 am North bound traffic on Rockville Pike will be diverted around the finish festival. Traffic will be sent to the east on Nicholson Lane, north on Nebel Street and west on Old Georgetown Pike which can then rejoin north bound traffic on Rockville Pike.
- Southbound traffic on Route 355 will not be affected except to cross over the North bound lanes. This crossover will only be prohibited when the runners are on the course and that time depends on how far the intersection is from the start of the race.