Road Closures / Traffic Info
Montgomery County Road Runners works in conjunction with the Montgomery County Department of Transportation, Montgomery County Police, City of Rockville Police, Montgomery County Department of Recreation and City of Rockville to ensure that the Pike’s Peek 10K course is safe for runners and has the least impact on traffic in the area.
We use a process of rolling road closures so the flow of traffic is stopped for the least amount of time possible. All of the intersections on the course are assigned a City of Rockville/Montgomery County police person and/or a Pike’s Peek 10K course Marshal. We ask that the drivers in the area of the race course please pay attention to the instructions given to drivers.
Race spectators should plan to access Pike & Rose from Old Georgetown Rd. There will be no access to Pike & Rose from Towne Rd. or Rockville Pike. The county parking lot at Montrose and 355 will be accessible by Towne Rd. and Montrose Rd.
Road Closures and Detours:
- The race starts at 7:50 am on Redland Road just Northeast of Rockville Pike. Redland Road between Rockville Pike and Crabbs Branch will be closed from 5:00 am to approximately 9:00am.
- The race course runs south on Rockville Pike using all north bound lanes from 7:40 am to approximately 8:10am. There will be traffic officers to detour traffic to East on Gude Drive, left to North on Crabbs Branch way to left on Shady Grove and back to Rockville Pike.
- On Rockville Pike from Gude Drive to Rose Avenue, the center 2 lanes will be blocked to traffic from 6:30 am to just after the last runner passes (that time depends on how far from the start line you are). Traffic is allowed in the right lane at all times. Cross over traffic will not be permitted when the runners are on the course.
- At approximately 8:10am to 9:45 am south bound traffic on Rockville Pike will be diverted around the finish festival. Traffic will be sent to the southwest on Towne Road, and using Montrose Rd or Montrose Parkway, will connect to East Jefferson and Executive Boulevard to Old Georgetown Road where south bound traffic on 355 will resume.
- Note that Towne Road is not a thru road – there is no access to Old Georgetown Road via Towne Road.
- Traffic may also use Montrose Parkway or Old Georgetown Road to access the north bound curb lane of Rockville Pike to reach destinations on the north bound side of the Pike or east of the Pike.
- Southbound traffic on Route 355 will not be impacted except for the finish area detour described above. Cross over traffic will only be prohibited when the runners are on the course and that time depends on how far the intersection is from the start of the race.